Teenage alcohol and drug abuse is a kind of harmful, unpredictable, and complex but a treatable condition. Initially, the teens start up with drinking and smoking by seeing their parents (role models). Later, in the process of imitating them, they start using alcohol and tobacco and other drugs of abuse not realizing the adverse effects of them.
Major reasons for teenage drug abuse are as follows,
- To escape from family problems.
- To be accepted by friends
- Celebrity movies
- To overcome boredom
- In the process of trying to force ideas and values from parents.
Some of the illicit drugs that are used per the teenage drug abuse statistics are cannabinoids like marijuana, hashish; gasoline inhalants; barbiturates, amphetamines; stimulants like cocaine, methamphetamines; narcotics like morphine, heroin, codeine; and hallucinogens like lysergic diethylamide (LSD). Along with the above abusive drugs, the other common thing is alcohol and tobacco abuse.
Signs of teen drug addiction: The signs of teen drug addiction warranting teenage drug abuse treatment includes loss of interest in going to school, not participating in games, missing classes, failing to complete class assignments, loss of interest in self grooming, needle mark in the legs or arms, cold and sweaty hands, blood shot eyes, puffy face, altered physical coordination, altered sleeping habits, unusual tiredness, slurred speech, etc. One need not necessarily show up with all these signs. Care should be taken if they show up either 1 or 2 of these signs.
Effects of drug abuse:
The use of illicit drugs and teenage prescription drug abuse creates both physical and psychological dependence and adverse effects. Some of ill effects of drug abuse are
- Decreased level of concentration
- Reduced decision making ability.
- Unprotected sex.
- Behavioral disorders, more violent behaviors.
- Use of anabolic steroids may cause impotence in boys and clitoral enlargement in girls and also baldness, and infectious diseases like HIV.
- Long-term use of drugs can cause liver diseases, cancers, heart attacks, strokes, etc.
- Over dosage of drugs can results in fatal effects such as respiratory distress, coma, and even death.
Types of drugs addicted by students – drug teen test
Importance of student athlete drug test – athlete drug test
Chemical imbalance in the brain – Student addiction
Importance of having to test your teen
Teenage Prescription Drug Abuse Is Increasing At An Alarming Rate
Getting addicted to anxiety drugs like Benzodiazepine – benzodiazepine drug testing